In this blog post, I guarantee you will get almost everything you want to know about potatoes interesting and detailed.
IS POTATO A VEGETABLE?
The truth is Yes! Potatoes are vegetables.
We always had confusion about potatoes whether are vegetables or fruit.
In Botanical term Potato is surely a vegetable which comes from an annual plant and grown for its edible root.
HOW TO STORE POTATOES?
Storing potatoes is pretty simple actually, for the most part without getting into too much of the specifics.
Potatoes are really just the stem of the plant right?
So that’s kinda what you’re eating.
They like being in a dark, cool place, kinda like me.
So it’s really important that you keep potatoes out of the sun.
When potatoes are in the sun,
when they’re exposed to too much light, they actually produce a chemical called solanine.
It’s actually what potatoes use to protect themselves in nature.
This solanine, when they’re exposed to light, makes them really kinda bitter and just not tasty.
The best way to do that is to store them in a brown paper bag.
The ideal temperature for potatoes is somewhere between 45 and 50 degrees.
BENEFITS OF POTATOES
POTATOES contain a wealth of health benefits that make them all the more essential as a staple dietary item.
Potatoes nutrition facts the reason potatoes have spread across the globe so quickly and have been so widely accepted is…..
Because they are a storehouse of energy and nutrition including vitamins, minerals and essential organic compounds mineral content.
If you eat potatoes regularly you ensure a good supply of water and ions in your body.
They are rich in potassium the concentration is highest in the skin and just beneath it.
So eating the potato with its skin is always beneficial.
They also contain calcium iron and phosphorus vitamin content potatoes are known for the large amounts of vitamin C present in them.
They also contain vitamins A and B water content potatoes may look huge but water accounts for about 70 to 80 % of their weight
So the belief that you become fat by eating potatoes is a misconception
If your potato servings contain large quantities of butter
Or if you can’t keep away from those high fat and high cholesterol then you are bound to gain weight
Starch content potatoes contain about 17% starch and they are one of the best natural sources.
#1 PREVENT HEART DISEASES
- Besides vitamins and minerals, B complexes and C’s potatoes also contain certain substances known as carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin carotenoids
- These are good for the heart health and the functioning of other internal organs
- Since potatoes raise the glucose level in the body and their overconsumption may cause obesity which puts pressure on your heart
- You must be careful about how off you use potatoes for this health benefit
This method of preventing heart diseases is not recommended for obese people or diabetics
#2 TREAT DIARRHEA
- Potatoes are an excellent component of an energy-rich diet
- For those suffering from diarrhoea since they are easy to digest and contain mild roughage.
- However, eating too many potatoes can cause diarrhoea due to the excessive ingestion of starch
#3 TREAT KIDNEY STONES
- Increase in the level of uric acid in the blood cause kidney stones referred to as renal calculi.
- In such cases foods high in protein should be avoided
- Particularly animal proteins such as meat, turkey, shrimp, fish, eggs and milk
- As well as spinach, raw plantain, black grams and certain beans which drastically increase the level of uric acid in the blood
- Iron and calcium also contribute to the formation of stones
- Potatoes are rich in both of these so logically they wouldn’t fit in as a preventative measure for kidney stones
- But they also contain magnesium which inhibits the accumulation or deposition of calcium calcification in the kidney and other tissues thereby proving beneficial for the medical management of renal calculi
#4 PROTECT AND MOISTURIZE THE SKIN
- Vitamin C and B also minerals such as potassium magnesium phosphorus and zinc function as promoters of skin
- In addition, the Pope produced by crushed raw potatoes can operate well in skin and facial packs when mixed with honey
- This even helps cure pimples and spots on the skin
- If this pulp applied externally on burns provides quick relief and faster healing
- Smash potatoes and even water in which they have been washed are very good for softening and cleaning dark skin, especially around the elbows number.
#5 AID IN WEIGHT GAIN
- Potatoes mainly consist of carbohydrates and contain protein and are low in fats
- When combining with foods like cheese butter or cream they are perfect diet for lean and thin people
- who want to gain weight
- The vitamin content includes vitamin C and B complex which also help in proper absorption of carbohydrates.
#6 EASY TO DIGEST
- They contain a high level of carbohydrates potatoes are easy to digest
- Help digestive process this property makes them a good diet for babies as well as adults.
- However, remember that eating too many of them on a regular basis may cause acidity
- This stimulates peristaltic motion and
- Increases secretion of gastric juices which eases digestion and prevents conditions like constipation.
- Click if you want more easy to digest recipes.
#7 REDUCE INFLAMMATION
- The various nutrients in potatoes are very helpful in reducing both internal and external inflammation
- since they are soft, rich in vitamins and easy to digest.
- Potatoes can relieve any inflammation in the intestines and the digestive system
- They are a very good dietary element for those who have mouth ulcers as well, therefore, people who suffer from arthritis and gout can use potatoes for their anti-inflammatory impact.
#8 TREAT SCURVY
- Potatoes are rich in vitamin C in carotenoid can contribute to the prevention of scurvy
- Which is characterized by cracked tulip corners spongy’s and bleeding gums and frequent viral infections
- Although it is not found in first and second world countries as they have ready access to vitamin C it still exists in certain nations of the world
- So the prolific presence of potatoes helps with this problem.
#9 LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE
- Different treatments are needed because high blood pressure can occur for a number of reasons.
- Including diabetes, tension, indigestion, nutrient balance diet and many others.
- Luckily potatoes can alleviate multiple possible causes and can be used to relieve high blood pressure.
- They can also treat indigestion due to an abundance of vitamin C and fibre.
- But they should be avoided if high blood pressure is a result of diabetes.
- The fibre present in them is helpful in lowering cholesterol.
- Improving the functioning of insulin in the body which aids in the lowering of blood pressure.
#10 AID THE COGNITIVE PROCESS
- Proper functioning of the brain mainly relies on the amount of glucose, oxygen supply, vitamin b-complex components
- And certain hormones amino acids and fatty acids such as omega 3
- Potatoes cater to almost all the needs mentioned above
- They are high in carbohydrates and thereby maintain good levels of glucose in the blood
- This prevents the brain from letting fatigue creep in and it keeps your cognitive activity and performance high
- The brain needs oxygen which is carried by the haemoglobin in the blood its main constituent is iron
NUTRIENTS IN POTATOES
VITAMINS IN POTATOES
|Vitamin C||19.7 mg|
|Thiamin (B1)||0.08 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||0.03 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||1.05 mg|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.30 mg|
|Vitamin (B6)||0.30 mg|
|Folate (B9)||16 μg|
|Vitamin A||2 IU|
|Vitamin K1||1.9 μg|
MINERALS IN POTATOES
FATS IN POTATOES
|Saturated Fatty Acid||0.03 g|
|Polysaturated Fatty Acid||0.04 g|
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT POTATOES
- 52% of people say potatoes are their favourite side dish.
- Potatoes are the 4th most consumed food crop in the world after rice, wheat and corn.
- 9 million that’s how many pounds of french fries McDonald’s sells around the globe daily.
- 72 thousand square miles of our planet are dedicated to growing potatoes that are about the size of Nebraska or France
- 14.2 billion pounds of potatoes are grown in Idaho the most of any state.
- Washington is second with nine-point 6 billion pounds
- Wisconsin is a distant third with 2.9 billion.
GLOBAL POTATO PRODUCTION
- The no.1 potato producing nation on earth is China
- There are over 1000 different types of potato ranging in colour from white gold red and purple each with different nutritional profiles
- There are 440 calories and one gram of fat and a pound of baked potatoes compare that to 1300 calories and 75 grams of fat in a pound of french fries
- 12 to 13 pounds of potatoes are needed to make one quart of skip rock vodka which by the way contains 2,000 calories and zero grams of fat
PRODUCTION OF POTATOES
|China||98.3 million tons|
HISTORY OF POTATOES
Nowadays they’re about 5,000 potato varieties and many are cultivated worldwide.
The wild potato species can be found only in the Americas from the United States to southern Chile
Genetic testing of cultivars and wild species traced all potatoes the single place of origin – the Andes of present-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia
To this day 3,000 potato cultivars are found in that region mainly in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile and Colombia, where over a hundred cultivars might be found in a single valley
There, in the highlands of the Andes, the first domesticated potato varieties might have been bred as early as ten thousand years ago
Potatoes were a staple food for the Inca civilization in the mid 16th century when conquistadors started bringing the tubers to Spain along with the Incas gold and silver
In the beginning
Potatoes were grown by royalty as exotic flowering plants and were considered poisonous to eat.
The English word “potato” comes from Spanish “patata”
a hybrid of the Taino – one of the Caribbean languages – word “batata” for a sweet potato
And the original Quechua name for the potato “papa”
Over the following 200 years, potato were spread gradually throughout Europe enhancing the lower-class diet of oats barley turnips and rutabaga.
DO YOU KNOW WHO INTRODUCED POTATOES?
In 1750 Sir Walter Reilly’s employee Thomas Harriot is commonly credited with introducing potato into England and Ireland in the late 1580s
Although potatoes had become widely familiar in Russia by 1800s
They were confined to garden plots until the grain failure in 1838 – 39 persuaded peasants and landlords to devote their fields to rising potatoes
Potatoes yielded 2 to 4 times more calories per acre than grain did, and tended to become more popular during wartime
HOW THEY CAME TO DOMINATE THE FOOD SUPPLY IN EUROPE?
Potatoes were slow to be adopted by European farmers initially
But by the 19th century, the potato became an important food staple
And a field crop that played a major role in the rapid growth of the European population.
Initially, very few varieties were introduced
And spread throughout Europe Potato mono-crops, lacking genetic diversity, were vulnerable to disease.
In 1845 – 1849 a fungus, known as late blight.
Spread rapidly throughout the potato fields in the poorer communities of Western Ireland and parts of the Scottish Highlands
Killing the crops and bringing the great Irish Famine.
Then the problem was corrected by bringing in more genetic material from the Americas
Potatoes entered Africa with colonists.
Shipping records of 1567 showed that the first place potato, grown outside of Central and South America were the Cannery islands.
By the mid 20th century and in present-day Africa potato have become a common vegetable and a core stable crop
POTATOES IN INDIA
In India, British colonists brought potato with them.
The first record that had mentioned potat0 to be served at a court reception for the British ambassador in 1675
The Portuguese introduced potato to India as a crop in the early 17th century when they cultivated them along the western coast
British settlers brought the potato to Australia by the British settlers in the late 18th and early 19th century
AFTER SPREADING OF POTATOES
Until the early 1990s most potatoes Europe, North America and countries of the former Soviet Union consumed.
Since then there has been a dramatic increase in potato production
And demand in Asia Africa and Latin America where output rose from less than
30 million tons in the early 1960s to more than 165 million tonnes in 2007
In 2005 the developing world’s potato production exceeded that of the developed world
China is now the biggest potato producer
Almost a third of all potato are harvested in China and India,
Followed by the Russian Federation Ukraine and then the US.
FAMOUS POTATO RECIPES
- FRENCH FRIES
- RAGDA PATTICE
- ALOO BAINGAN
- DUM ALOO
- BATATA WADA
- ALOO METHI
- ALOO TIKKI
- VADA PAV
- AND MANY OTHER
Hope you liked the post
If YES than let us know the comment section it motivates us to bring up more interesting information for our readers.
If you want me to add some more information,
Then let me know the topic in the comment section.